Monday, January 2, 2012

Ringing in a New Year with the Savannah Swing Jacket

This pattern has been jumping off the cutting table wanting to be made.  So, I finally got it done, even though it was easy to sew together.


The fabric was a cable twisted corduroy.  It has a stiff hand, so I thought it would work well.  It does, but it is very heavy for my weather, so I can only wear a camisole under it.  The fabric does not crease well, so when I make it again, I will choose something that shows off the lovely pleats.

The construction of this jacket is easy, even though there is a lining.  I found Step 2 in the lining directions had a picture drawn incorrectly.  If you follow the picture, you will be "unsewing", but if you think through which way the fabric should turn, you will see that it is just the opposite and then you won't have to "unsew."  I wish the cuff pattern was given so I would have cut it out with the rest of the jacket and not sewn it on against the nap.....but that might have happened anyway.  Glad you can't see it in the photos.  It looks a little frumpy in the photos, but it may be due to an 11-year-old son doing the photos.

I have made a few Serendipity Studio garments and this jacket seems to be very fitted through the shoulders (or my fabric was very unforgiving in giving a little stretch.)  I love the length of the cropped jacket.  It would look great with a skirt or dress.




Happy New Year!

I can't wait to see what I can sew up this year!




2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I like the chocolate brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so interesting, the gathered lower edge of the lining. With a lush satin, this would seem very cozy when wearing it

    ReplyDelete