Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pony Club, AS&E 98, Lessons in Sewing....

Pony Club, Australian Smocking & Embroidery, Issue 98

This simple top, Pony Club from Australian Smocking and Embroidery, Issue 98, kept me busy for way too long.  AFTER I finished the smocking and started constructing the top, I found out the pattern pieces were drawn incorrectly in AS&E and there were corrections found here.  

Smocking detail on front

Back view

Below is my third attempt at taking out every seam and reconstructing the top.  Below is also, the correct (according to the pattern) amount of smocking in the front.  You can see how much I have pinned up for it to match the back width.  

My top is a size 8, and I after three attempts at making the top, I have about 8 1/4" of smocking left in the front.  Notice the pictures of my daughter above, if she moves it gaps even with the reduction in front width.  Since I had already completed the smocking, I added a hem band since the correction I needed was to add length to the front.  I am not convinced the corrections on AS&E's website are totally correct in regard to the front width of this top.

After all the changes, I really like this top.  It is cute on my daughter.  Smocking on this bold print is not normal, but I like the end product.

The front of this top is pleated and smocked through two layers of fabric.  My fabric on this top was a thicker quilting cotton that broke a needle as it went through the pleater.  Since the smocking is simple, a young smocker could excel at this project.  With so many changes to the pattern, a more experienced seamstress is needed to finish the top.

Lesson Learned:  Check for corrections BEFORE you start a new project!!!!

I have been busy after four days of sewing heaven putting my house back together.  I spent four wonderful days with the best teachers at the American Sewing Guild's National Convention.  It was so much fun and I learned a ton.  

My daughter modeled in the Runway Fashion Show, where she promptly fell in love with ladies ohh-ing and ahhh-ing over her.

Modeling Aine 

Modeling Poppy

I fell in love with some of the teachers and their amazing projects.

Here I am with Susan Khalje

Here I am with Connie Crawford

Now on to the end of summer sewing.  School has started.  The fall garden is planted.  Everything is in full swing!  Have fun with your end of summer projects.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Farbenmix Roxy dress

Front view of Roxy

Roxy is a simple, princess cut, A-line dress.  I had a few fabrics that coordinated well, but needed lots of space or busyness would take over.  This was a great pattern for the fabric.  I traced a size 9/10 but did not add a seam allowance.  Going up a size and not adding a seam allowance on the European patterns has been a good trick for my tall skinny girl.

The directions for this pattern are few, unless you look them up on the internet.  I just put the pieces together and added a bias trim for the neckline and ruffle for the hem.  I used an invisible zipper in the back to make it even faster and easier.  This dress was made 100% on the sewing machine.  

Back view of Roxy

Side view of Roxy

Now, I am off to four days of sewing class bliss at the American Sewing Guild's National Convention.    

Happy Sewing!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

American Girl Bishop

Bishop from Dolly's Wardrobe by Children's Corner

American Girl Rebecca is modeling Children's Corner Betsy Bishop dress.  This little dress was made for a doll raffle to be at the American Sewing Guild National Convention.

The dress is made from baby blue micro check.  The smocking plate is a version of "Darling Daisies"  from Smocked Minatures VI by Debbie Glenn.

Rebecca is a newer Mattel doll that is a little slimmer than the original American Girl dolls.  When the Children's Corner book was originally published, the pattern would have been a pretty good fit.  I didn't remove any fabric width, thinking a bishop would make it ok.  I wish I would have removed about an inch from the front and back.  A great article about the changing doll sizes is here.

Good-bye sweet dress! Hope you enjoy your new home!

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hot Summer Colors in Simplicity 1926

Summer is hot!  This dress turned out so cute, I think it cools the evening off!

Pattern:  Simplicity 1926, View A
Fabric: Michael Miller print, Aqua pique

Simplicity 1926
Pattern Review:  This is not a beginner's pattern.  The pleats and front placket are cumbersome.  I made a size 8 dress and followed the size 12 length.  After the dress was complete, my dear daughter complained about it opening too much around the neckline.  (It really did.)  

So back to the drawing board to add a touch that would "close up" the opening that I spent a good chunk of time "opening."  Kari Mecca's book, More Sewing with Whimsy, came to the rescue.  Officially by her book, the flower is called "Swirl flowers with whimsy stick trim."

I hope you enjoy my pictures.  
My husband bought a new lens that arrived today that takes awesome pictures!
.....been waiting to post a handful of projects....