Sunday, May 27, 2012

Karavan Jersey and Butterick B4789

I bought a few yards of Free Spirit's Karavan jersey from  I am in love with it.  It sews up like a dream.  Butterick B4789 is a twist knot dress that is OOP, but available on some websites.  Reviewers on stated that there is a lot of fabric in the knot and I agree. The abundance of fabric in the knot was not so bad since this is a great jersey fabric to sew.  I love the dress that I made from it and it took just a few hours to complete the whole thing.  

I am glad for simple dresses that I can complete quickly.  My new summer project has become redoing our wood floors after twelve inches of rain fell in 6 hours a few weeks ago.  We got about 1/2" of water that covered about a 3 foot by 25 foot section in my kitchen.  I am looking at two weeks of construction with my sewing room being part of the project.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Playful Dress, McCall's M6272

My daughter fell for this dress from the picture on the cover of the pattern.  It is an easy pattern to construct, but I didn't like the unfinished seams inside and added a lining.  That got me into a little trouble.  The back closure is just a fabric loop and button with no placket to strengthen the back opening.   This isn't the cleanest finish on a dress, but it works.   My daughter thinks the dress is great and loves wearing her leggings under it.

Please note, the fabric requirements are for 60" of fabric, which will limit your fabric selection.  Plan accordingly.  This print is from Fabric Finders.

I did make the ruffles the easy way, using my gathering foot.  See below.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Poppy" from AS&E 87

Oh, how I love to look through the pages of old Australian Smocking and Embroidery magazines.  They have gems on every page.  "Poppy" is a dress I have admired many times.  I loved the simple smocking and the look of backsmocking at the top of the dress.  This dress is great because the large floral print looks wonderful where it is backsmocked and the smocking only brings out the colors of the dress more vividly.  I search my stash for a large floral.  I found this Amy Butler Gypsy Caravan print from years ago.  (Even better, Amy Butler is rereleasing this print.)  Below is the original "Poppy" and above is my version.

I followed the pattern construction in AS&E exactly.  My smocking is a tad different due to making it match my print a little better and not compete with the floral fabric.  This pattern is very similar to "Mary De" from Children's Corner, except it ties on the sides instead of buttoning.  It also has a full width of fabric on each side of the back of the dress.  (Making 3 widths of 45" fabric going around the dress.)

Above is my happy daughter wearing her new dress on Mother's Day.  

Have a happy Mother's Day!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Children's Corner Sophie

My daughter is hamming it up with this dress.  The dress is Children's Corner Sophie.  It was made exactly as the pattern states, so I made no changes.  I wish I would have added piping to the bottom of the front bodice, but I am sure that I am the only one it bothers.  I also need to take up the belt a few inches for Miss Skinny.

This pattern is easy even with the front pleats.  The fabric is pleated BEFORE you cut out the bodice.  It makes a fairly quick summer dress that is stylish and .  Fabric is a printed pique by Fabric Finders.

Have a great weekend!