Friday, September 9, 2011

"Feliz Party Dress" makes ME happy!

This is the project to work on after you have done a tedious or serious sewing project.  It bursts with fun for an experience seamstress.  I have made two dresses from Sewing Clothes Kids Love and the book is a total winner.  They sell it locally at Hobby Lobby and Joann's, making it easy to get at a discount with a coupon.  It is NOT for a beginner's first couple of projects.  The dresses have a wonderful assortment of contoured pieces that make the most beautiful drape on a dress.




Feliz is shown in the book without a lot of embellishments, but the internet if full of samples of this cute dress done with ruffles and ribbon.  So, I plunged right in with ruffles and ribbon.  It was a sewing room clean-out!  I used ribbon, rick-rack and scraps of fabric to make 2 dresses.

My first dress is the blue, purple, and green trio with Central Park fabric from Moda on the front pulling it together.  My ribbon box needed a clean-out and both dresses did a great job of cleaning out the extras!






The second dress has a brown daisy Anthology fabric on the front and matching layers of gingham trim on the back.  I used my embroidery machine and a flower design from Bella Marie Embroidery to add the big daisy to the front.




My daughter LOVES these dresses.  The dress has elastic in the back to pull the back to the body and the ties actually start at the front side seams and tunnel through to the back so the dress gathers on the ties and fits under the arms perfectly!  The patterns run fairly true to size for commercially made items in the US.  If you have a plus sized girl, do a test garment, because I think they fit thin girls well.  My 7 year old daughter is tall, so I traced out the 9-10 year old dress and left off the seam allowances, so that I had the longer length, but not the width.  This is a fun dress to make, it just makes you smile!





1 comment:

  1. I'm crazy for the feliz!! My love affair with that dress is a big reason I started sewing! I really love your brown one, with all the ribbons and trim.... Lovely!

    ReplyDelete