Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Bella Skirt" and Kwik Sew 3869




I had purchased some great black fabric with ribbon flowers sewn on it.  Great fabric, but I had fear when thinking about cutting it.  Well, I went through my skirt patterns a dozen times looking for the perfect one.  I found it with a Serendipity Studio skirt, Bella.  This is a straight skirt with a yoke and buttons.  




The white buttons look great.  I followed the pattern, except for the hem of this skirt.  I didn't want the bulk or the ribbon showing through the bottom layer.  I used the selvedge edge (no decoration on it) and cut the curve of the skirt for the hem piece.  I sewed the hem band to the bottom, folded the top edge under, and then topstitched it down.  Great skirt!




My local heirloom store has become a Kwik Sew dealer, so I picked up Kwik Sew 3869.  It is a sleeveless, princess seam top with either a wide collar or mandarin collar.  I used a white cotton that has to have some rayon in it, since it has a great drape.  I made a Large in this pattern, but it is almost too big.  It may not look like it in the picture, but the top of this pattern is very generously sized.  This is a pattern to come back to again.  It fits fabulously and looks great on me.  This shirt pattern will go well with shorts, jeans, or skirts.

Excuse my wrinkled state in the pictures.  I have been to church, the store, and to eat (where I spilled something on me).  Thunder is rolling in the back-ground today.  RAIN!  It is an answer to prayer in south Texas!

1 comment:

  1. That skirt is great, the fabric has such a lively and fun feeling! Really great look on you. :)

    ReplyDelete