Saturday, April 30, 2011

Nighty Night Adventure

My version of Nighty Night by Favorite Things
My back of Nighty Night using Lisette Batiste

This is the story of the quest for the perfect nightgown for hot, humid weather.  It all started a few years ago when I purchased a cute paisley nightgown from Target.  I fell in love with it.  Well, do you think they made any more of that style, NO.  It is pictured below.  The elastic in the back was worn out and it is getting thin.  What made it so great?
1.  The crisscross straps don't fall down in the middle of the night.
2.  There is elastic in the front and back hold it somewhat in place during the tossing and turning I usually do.
3.  It has no sleeves and is cool for those hot, humid nights when the air conditioner can't seem to run enough.  I live in Coastal Texas.
4.  It is cute, modest, and my husband likes it.

So, being the little seamstress, I had to make one.  After comparing all my patterns, I decided to use Favorite Things' pattern, Nighty Night.  It was close enough I could re-engineer it to work.  So the first item was easy, criss-cross the straps.  It already had elastic all the way around the chest (under the bust) to hold it in place.  Those cute models on the pattern cover looked young, so I added a little extra in the bust for my pattern. I found the top back also needed elastic to hold the nightgown in place like my old Target one.  I made the first one with the skirt of the nightgown from the pattern and the other two are cut with a little more A-line and I gathered it a little in the front to make it more baby-doll like the Target one.

I LOVE the results.  The poly-satin version is soft and comfy.  The Lisette batiste versions are light weight and airy.  This nightgown is very flattering and easy to sew together.  I highly recommend it to you for a summer nighty.
My next version will split the bust into cups versus the one piece from Nighty Night.


Front view of my Target nightgown
Back view of Target nightgown, complete with gaposis

Satin Nighty Night


Nighty Night using Lisette batiste


 I have also been busy with my second hobby, gardening.  It is keeping me busy with new crops coming in this week.  I have already picked over 3 gallons of green beans!



Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment: