Friday, August 30, 2013

A Well Fitting Juliet Tunic

Juliet Tunic by Serendipity Studio

My iPad battery is drained from so many Craftsy fitting classes.  I just finished Lynda Maynard's class "Sew the Perfect Fit," when I started on this tunic.  Perfect timing!!!!

Pattern:
 Juliet Tunic by Serendipity Studio
 (I have the old pattern, it has been redesigned.)  

Fabric:
Meadowsweet by Sandi Henderson

Construction:
I followed the directions as they were written.  I did add trim under the bust and at the hem.  The trim is  just a stripe fabric pleated with the ruffle foot.

Fitting:
(See my pictures at the bottom of this blogpost.)
I made a muslin of this top and found a few fitting issues.  I highly recommend Lynda Maynard's fitting class.  She has you draw (or stitch) the grainlines on the muslin.  It is like an arrow pointing to the problem.  I cut through the bust and lowered it by about 1 1/2".  The grainlines above the bust were not straight, so I played around with adding fabric and found the shoulder needed about 1 1/4" of fabric.  All of my alterations were in length, nothing added around!!!!

This is a great tunic to transition into fall in Houston!  It will still be in the 90's for a few more weeks!


Juliet Tunic after Craftsy class "Sew the Perfect Fit"

Back View

Close-up of Juliet Tunic

Juliet Tunic muslin with my corrections.

Added about 1 1/4" at the top of the shoulder.

Added 1 1/2" at bust line.

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen, this is beautiful. I am off to order the pattern. Your projects always inspire me to sew more for myself. Will have to sign up for the Craftsy class as well, looks like you learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete