Saturday, August 3, 2013

Cool Tunic in a Hot Summer, Simplicity 2690

Simplicity 2690 with Amy Butler rayon print

If you think it is hot at your house this summer, come join me in Houston!  It has been hot with a little more hot on top of hot.  We are missing our usual few days of rain that cool and humidify the place.

So, I made a fun tunic to beat the heat, Simplicity 2690.  

Pattern:
Simple pattern to construct.  Due to a shortage of fabric, I took out about 2" of fullness in the sleeves and a little length.  Then, since the sleeves hit at about the elbow, I took out the elastic in the sleeve cuff.  I also added about an 1 1/2 to the top of the center triangle placket at the bust.  I love how the elastic holds this top close to the body, but also lets it flow freely at the bottom.  This style is very popular on Zulily, with dress/tunic of varying lengths and fitted sleeves.  

Fabric:
Border print from Amy Butler in rayon.

Close-up of front of Simplicity 2690

Love the drape of the rayon print.
Stay cool! 

3 comments:

  1. We had a pretty bearable summer until August arrived, and now we are consistently in the triple digits. Love your top and the color! It looks like it would transition well to fall or spring, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K! That top looks fantastic. Thanks for passing on your alterations. I think I would do the same as you - it looks plenty full in the sleeves. Your color choice is lovely on you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I have been taking to heart the Sew the Perfect Fit on Craftsy. I finished another top that just needs photography that will astound you at the changes I made. Wish I could spend some time with you!

      Delete