Mastering knits has been on my recent goal list, and I think I might have found my magical answer. SewKeys E Knit Interfacing by, Emma Seabrooke.
At the ASG conference I took Emma Seabrooke's class on Taming Knits with Stay Tapes. She had wonderful examples of "hard to sew" knits done beautifully. I made a bee-line to her booth and picked up a few different size interfacing rolls to try. (I will be ordering the ones I didn't pick up soon.)
Butterick B5778 caught my eye as a beautiful fall dress to sew up quickly and try out these new interfacing tapes. It turned out BETTER than I even imagined.
Below I attempted to draw where I placed the stay tapes on the bodice. I ironed (more like steamed) the stay tape into place and then sewed up the dress as the pattern instructed. I also put tape on the hem and then topstitched it down.
The front of this dress is a little low, but the interfacing holds the piece so firmly, I can lean over and not fear! Incredible!
I love this dress and can't wait to make it in a solid color. The fabric was from Joann's clearance pile and cost me a whopping $7.50 for the dress. Not bad for a muslin!
Adjustments to make in the future:
1. Add a little fabric to the front skirt to give a few more gathers to the skirt.
2. Stitch the belt on all the way to the side seams. It droops when it is only sewn to the front.
Wow, I am sold on this product!