Sometimes I find the most beautiful dress and then think, that color would not flatter myself or my daughter. I had been holding a bookmark on "Autumn Gold" in Australian Smocking and Embroidery #72 for some time. The dress was right, but not the color. So I decided to use a blue floral from my stash (most likely by Moda) and figured I could find a cute gingham to match. After countless trips to the store, I chose a yellow and then tea dyed it to soften the color to match the dusty colors in the blue.
I hope you can see the resemblance of the original in my creation. The fit of this dress is right on, as it always is with AS&E. The collar, sleeves, and hem are bound with gingham trim, which is hard to see from the glare in my picture.
The smocking is fairly fast due to a lattice pattern through most of it. The hard part is getting those curves done symmetrically. I wish I had made the bullion knot roses larger, but the original wasn't too big either.
The detailing on the sleeve is too cute. There is no elastic in the sleeve, the smocking acts as elastic.
This is a great dress for my daughter and she loves wearing it!