Friday, February 4, 2011

Retro Remake by Sew Beautiful


This is a very colorful Retro Remake that I sewed up in about 2 hours.  It is made of a cute corduroy that I found in the fall at Hobby Lobby.  The raspberry-colored corduroy is a little thicker than the print, so I did not line the top section, like the pattern calls for, but bound the neck and arm seams.  I like this pattern to whip up a quick dress, but it is very plain around the neck/chest area if you do not find a way to embellish it.  The pattern shows a monogramed button or a fabric bow.  I chose to use my new Whimsy Sticks from Kari Mecca.  See my picture below for a close up of the flower.


This shows the print fabric better.  The green turtleneck was purchased last year at Gymboree.  This pattern comes in multiple sizes for girls and adults all in the same package.  My daughter is a tall 7 year old, so I chose to make a size 8.  (The pattern jumps from size 6 to 8.)  As I expected, it is a little large.  This is the second Sew Beautiful Collection pattern I have made and I am finding they run almost as large as Australian sizing.  So beware when starting a project from one of their patterns.  It could be that moving to a size 8 is just a big jump.




The brown flower and raspberry flower were made using Kari Mecca's Whimsy Sticks and More Sewing with Whimsy book.  The two yellow rick rack flowers were made following Kari Mecca's Sewing with Whimsy book.

I have made a few dresses from Sewing with Whimsy and I have a few picked to sew in the spring from More Sewing with Whimsy.  I purchased both sizes of the Whimsy Sticks, which are expensive, in the fall and had not used them yet.  Making the flowers from Sewing with Whimsy was a time consuming and sometimes frustrating experience, but I love the flowers.  I LOVE these new whimsy sticks.  You can make a fabric flower in no time. Kari has videos on her blog to help you through the process.  I still think these little sticks are expensive, but SO MUCH FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment