Thursday, September 24, 2015

Mississippi Avenue Dress for the Fall


Happy Autumn!

It sure sounds nice, but here in Texas, the heat stays with us until late October.  So, while others have visions of coats and jackets to sew, I continue with sewing summer patterns in the colors of fall.  

This summer I picked up some beautiful lawns at Mood Fabrics in Los Angeles.  When I saw this pattern on a few sewing blogs, I knew it would be a perfect match.


Mississippi Avenue Dress by Sew House Seven


Front view

Fabric:
Plum floral lawn from Mood Fabrics

Pattern:
107 The Mississippi Avenue Dress by Sew House Seven

Construction notes:
Since this lawn is almost see through, I used French seams on the side seams.  The center front panel is done with a Hong Kong seam.  The front neckband is easy to do with a lightweight lawn, but even a quilting cotton would be too thick and bunch up.

Fitting notes:
Pattern review had a few notes from reviewers about the armholes, so my radar was alerted to any large armhole issues.  


Based on my sloper, I made the following bodice changes:
- tuck in the back between the armhole and shoulder.
-adjusted both front and back shoulder slopes (both different for the left and right).
-added about 1" to the front side seam as a FBA.  I slightly gathered the bottom of the bodice to fit to the skirt. 

That is all the adjustment needed and it turned out great!!!!
I had no large armhole issue.







2 comments:

  1. Your dress is very pretty. :) I just bought the pattern and hope it turns out as nice as yours. First I am going to check out what a Hong Kong seam is......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit late to this dress, but I have purchased the pattern and hope to make it for the summer. I found your adjustments and information very helpful - sounds like I may make similar adjustments when I tackle this dress.

    ReplyDelete