Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter "Virginia" Dress with Ribbon



I made a simple Children's Corner Virginia to wear during the winter months in the South.  I have the terrible disorder of buying beautiful ribbon and then trying to figure out how to use it.  This was a way to use the ribbon around the middle of the dress.  It makes it quit dressy and my daughter wore it as an additional Christmas dress.  The fabric is a simple black and white check in cotton.



I made Virginia according to the pattern except for adding a lining to the bodice, the ribbon detail and exchanging the scalloped collar for "Lee's" Peter Pan collar.  Maybe that is more than a little change.  The front bodice lining kept me from hand sewing a bias strip at the neck line.  It needed a little detail on the collar so I whipped up the little roses to pull it together.  The collar is black pique.


The back is simple with four buttons.  I really like the puff sleeves on this pattern.  The narrow cuff is also a favorite.  It has a great "retro" look.  

Leave me a comment if you have another pattern that I can use some ribbon as a trim.  I have an overflowing bin of gorgeous ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment