Friday, January 7, 2011

Summer on my mind (it's 75 today).....in January


This adorable summer outfit is from Michael Miller fabric, Kwik Sew 3698 (top) and Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants (L008).  Both of these sweet items were made for shop samples at Buttons'n Bows in Houston, Texas.  If you want to see them, stop by in the shop in the next 6 months and check them out!







Let me review the top first.  I haven't sewn many Kwik Sew patterns, but the ones I have used have all been of a great quality.  The front of this top could have been sewn with hardly a glance at the directions, because the pieces are so well marked (all 14 of them).  The picture above shows how I laid it out and put it together.  The ONE item to keep in mind is your seam allowance in sewing on the ruffles.  If it is not 100% accurate, the back will not fit on properly.  I thought I was using the right seam allowance, but either the pattern or I (most likely I) was a little off.  It was easy to fix by taking in a little on each ruffle.  The straps are a little tricky because you sew one side to the garment and then sew up the tie and then turn it right side out and then sew the rest of the binding down.  I might have used a different way, but their way worked.





My general impression of these bermuda shorts is good.  The shorts review should start with the item of fit.  I feel these run very true to size.  That being said they also run very straight.  SO, if your child wears a regular size in pants, you most likely will not need to alter them.  If you have a skinny child (like mine), you will need to cut a little of the width off.  I don't feel that you could make a smaller size because of the fact they still have a normal back end and will need that room.  If your child is in a plus size, then you need to modify it to make it wider.  YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE YOU CUT IT OUT!  The pockets on this pattern are very cute and a great addition.  Step 5 in the pattern tells you to sew the bottom pocket seam closed with the wrong sides together and then flip it.  I would have serged that bottom seam BEFORE it is sewn in the pant to make it easier.  (IMHO)  I might also substitute the flat rectangle that makes the front waistband for a curved one to be more flattering to a skinny girl.  Overall this is a great pattern for making shorts or capri pants.  I will use it again for another project.





So, it is 75 degrees out today, but next week it will be cold and I will review a winter item.  See ya then!


No comments:

Post a Comment