Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Smocked Tunic from Simplicity 1596

The mad rush for finishing Christmas gifts……..  DONE!

I decided to make my niece a smocked tunic for Christmas.  
It was started in October and finished last week.

Smocked Simplicity 1596

Simplicity 1596, size 8
Easy to sew and adapt to a smocked tunic.  
Issues with the pattern: the seams for the ruffle at the bottom of the dress and the neckband was too short and too narrow.  
The pattern calls for 4 sections on each ruffle.  This leaves a seam in the front of the dress.  Cut it in two pieces and you don't have to see the seam in the front.  
I had to recut a new neckband due to the original being too small for the dress.

The smocked insert was made by pleating a section of fabric and then adjusting the pleats to the size of the pattern insert.  The smocking design was original and made to match the trim.

Poly/cotton chambray and Fabric Finders pink/white gingham.  
(Forgot how unforgiving poly/cotton can be when eased into tight areas.)

Close-up of the smocking

Smocked Simiplicity 1896

My internet absence could be due to four kids on four different basketball teams or the water damage to my kitchen.  Take your pick, everyday has been FULL from Thanksgiving until Christmas.

New Kitchen Project thanks to overflowing toilet.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great. I made my dd a smocked version of that pattern for her first day of school.