Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Dress, Butterick B5523

Butterick B5523
 My Christmas dress this year is COMFY!  I used a rayon ponte double knit in Christmas red and Butterick B5523 to make a perfectly comfy and cute dress.  A few reviews on PatternReview mentioned the bust was "snug."  I did a FBA and almost went up a size due to the knit not being super stretchy.  I came back down to my original size and whipped up the dress in 48 hours for a Christmas party.  My only changes are the FBA and I used my coverstitch machine on the hems.  A note for others about the pleats:  it takes a firm fabric to hold the pleats, but the pleats are shallow and would hold a better pleat if they were deeper....

Butterick B5523

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! You did a FBA? I don't see a dart. Is there a way to do that without making a dart? Can you point me in the right direction to learn how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated about that very topic. I read a few reference books and found a note in Connie Crawford's book about t-shirt fitting. She stated something about adding fabric and working with the shoulder seams until you got a fit. That is what I did. I added width and length to the bust area and then messed around with the shoulder seam until it was satisfactory to my 48 hour of construction needs. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'll have to try that. So much of sewing is just hands on experimenting! :)

      Delete
  2. The dress is so pretty and looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete