This is the original pattern cover to "Ainsley." You can see the yoke is identical and it ends quickly after that point.
First, I smocked a cute pattern onto the navy blue pique.
I wanted a more grown-up look for my growing daughter and used some current design elements.
The sleeves are called "lantern sleeves." I used the long-sleeve pattern from "Ainsely" from the cap to about the elbow. Then I cut a rectangle for the "lantern." The width of the rectangle was 1.5 times the width of the sleeve where I stopped at the elbow. The length of the rectangle took it close to the wrist. I used the original cuff for the sleeve and inserted elastic.
I tried adding the belt to the original "Ainsley", but it looked dorky and I took it off. I used the belt for the back.
To add a little color at the hem, I added two pleats and used the floss from the smocking design to make a running stitch through the bottom of the pleats.
Photos of navy blue dresses are tough to take, so I hope you can see the dress and the details.