Sunday, November 27, 2011

Smocked Retro "Ainsley"

This dress is based on the yoke and sleeve top of "Ainsley" by Children's Corner.  I took the pattern and rewrote it into a retro dress.


This is the original pattern cover to "Ainsley."  You can see the yoke is identical and it ends quickly after that point.


First, I smocked a cute pattern onto the navy blue pique.  


I wanted a more grown-up look for my growing daughter and used some current design elements.


The sleeves are called "lantern sleeves."  I used the long-sleeve pattern from "Ainsely" from the cap to about the elbow.  Then I cut a rectangle for the "lantern."  The width of the rectangle was 1.5 times the width of the sleeve where I stopped at the elbow.  The length of the rectangle took it close to the wrist.  I used the original cuff for the sleeve and inserted elastic.


I tried adding the belt to the original "Ainsley", but it looked dorky and I took it off.  I used the belt for the back.


To add a little color at the hem, I added two pleats and used the floss from the smocking design to make a running stitch through the bottom of the pleats.


Photos of navy blue dresses are tough to take, so I hope you can see the dress and the details.







3 comments:

  1. Bravo! Sew pretty! You can tell your daughter loves your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! Looks both cute and comfy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the color at the hem! And the lantern sleeves.

    ReplyDelete