Friday, November 5, 2010

Nina by ModKids and Sassy Skirt or "What do you do with 1/2 yard cuts in your stash?"


I had found some super cut prints and ribbon from Patty Young's collection of Andalucia.  The fabric has long since been discontinued, so those 1/2 yard cuts would have to make due.  I came up with a t-shirt and skirt combo and a Nina shirt and embellished jean combo.  Both can be mixed and matched for two complete cute outfits.  




Sassy skirt by Children's Corner without the double layer skirt.  The t-shirt is from Target and the embroidery design is from Stitch in Time and is called hillhouse8.  


Nina shirt by ModKids with Target jeans and Andalucia ribbon and ruffle.




This is a close up of the shirt.  I used yellow ribbon from the collection and a decorative stitch from my machine to add the details on the front.


The shirt has a simple tie back.


The embellished jeans!

Pattern Description: This all-seasons top can be made as a sleeveless tank with tie-straps for the Summer, short-sleeved for the Spring & Fall and long-sleeved for the Winter. It has a sweet peasant style and several options for embellishing the top. As a bonus, we’ve included easy step-by-step instructions and diagrams for making our no-pattern Easy Peasy Skirt, as seen in the front cover. Pair up your favorite version of the Nina top with our Easy-Peasy Skirt for a complete boutique-style ensemble!

Pattern Sizing: 2T to 7

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It is a cute top for little girls that goes together quickly. There is little fitting, so it looks home sewn. To make this really cute, you need an idea for the front square section (ribbon, embroidery, or buttons).

Fabric Used:I used 1/2 yard cuts for two whole outfits that coordinate. I had purchased these cuts a year or so ago and hadn't used them yet. The line, Andalucia, has been discontinued so I had no hope of adding to the fabric. I searched through all my patterns looking for a way to turn these cute fabrics into something useful.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I used view C, which is short sleeved (didn't take a lot of fabric). I added ribbon and a cute stitch from my machine to add some detailing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I used this pattern to get around that 1/2 yard cut and it worked.

Conclusion: I like the two outfits and their cute looks. I did not use the skirt pattern on Nina due to the yoke of the skirt being a rectangle and my other review of Sassy Skirt by Children's Corner goes into the reason not to use this.


No comments:

Post a Comment