It is steamy hot in South Texas. My hair dropped its curl within feet of the back door. My son snapped a few photos and said they had better work because it is TOO hot out. Glad they almost turned out perfect.
This pattern, fabric, and piping was becoming a shelf staple in my sewing room. I can't tell you how many summers I have just moved it and made something else. I am SOOOO glad I didn't give up and I am SOOOO much better at fitting these days.
Cotton Sateen from Oliver+S sold years ago at Joann's.
Royal blue Bemberg lining
White petite piping
Construction and Fitting:
Sewist beware! I started reading the pattern and immediately knew their directions would not work. They wanted piping added and then pieces sewed together. I know that "just doesn't work." So, I rearranged the order of construction to allow sections to be sewn together and then the piping added.
It is totally lined the dress. Even part of the sash is lined with Bemberg because this dress is a fabric hog. I had less than a fat quarter left of fabric. I'm glad the sashes criss-cross because they hide the mismatches of fabric.
I was drawn to this pattern the year it came out and was featured on the front of the Simplicity pattern book. I love piping and fell in love with the details. When I looked on Pattern Review, the sashes looked skimpy. I had already cut mine out and it made me worried about covering the bust area completely. I used 1/4" seams on the sash to give me all the fabric I could get. I am pleased with the result.
Pattern changes for fitting:
1. Shoulder slope correction
2. Swayback adjustment
3. FBA to the princess line
4. Added fabric to the underarm seam (AND I AM SO GLAD I DID!)
5. Raised the front neckline